Sunday 16 December 2012

And now, for something totally different...


candles
...a pause for station identification.

In the wake of the December 14 massacre in Newtown, Connecticut, I find myself curiously empty of words. I started a poem, but it was trite and contrived, and felt wrong. Nothing can make this right. Nothing can speak to the unutterable agonies of those families, of that community.

I can only say to those who are left behind to mourn, and wonder, and question, and rage, whether they be related by blood or by a common humanity:

I am a parent.  My heart is broken for you!
I am a teacher.  My heart is bleeding with yours!
I am a human being.  My heart is burdened for you!

...and may all those who perished, both the innocent and the guilty, finally rest in peace!

4 comments:

Shaynacwings said...

What beautiful thoughts you have my dear.

A very dreadful thing that seems to be happening too often in America. Obama was very upset when I saw him while watching the news. His hands are tied no matter what he wants to do.
There are a lot of very sick minded people in that country.

Unknown said...

I am appalled by the complete selfishness of people who want to do absolutely nothing to reduce these occurrences. Shocked that it is considered to be acceptable to at least 4 million people. Left speechless by the thought that the remaining 256 million are apparently powerless to change things.

Teri said...

I'm just numb... :( And I worry that this country has countenanced gratuitous violence for so long that when things like this happen, they are immune to it!

herodotus2007 said...

Yes, I couldn't think of any post, and was made numb to see so many leap at the subject. Yes, let the dead rest.