Wednesday 3 October 2012

Odds and Ends



"Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck!"  No, I'm not saying them, nor did I when the idea for this blog first came to me.  I was the recipient of an e-mail message where all that was there were these seven words.  I sent a concerned reply, and my client (I am editing work for him) proceeded to explain to me the reason for his distress.  And it occurred to me, almost as though I had heard him say them, that there were seven words.  It got me to thinking...we seem to curse in odd numbers, most particularly in ones -- "Fuck!" -- or fives -- "Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck!" -- or sevens, as above.

It's very rhythmic, isn't it?  And consider how that rhythm is enhanced if the curse becomes "Fuck fuck fuckity fuckity fuck fuck!"  This, admittedly is NOT an odd number of curses, but one assumes the reason such an aberration is permitted in the annals of cursing history might have to do with the addition of the "ity" to the word, enhancing its weight and beat, and making a seventh repetition unnecessary.  Looked at in this way, such cursing is practically poetry, isn't it?  

I wondered idly last night, as I pondered this blog, if cursing in sevens makes the curse the perfect curse.  After all, in some spheres, seven is the perfect number. For example, the week wouldn't be complete without Saturday, would it, if Sunday is taken as the first day of the week?  Where would I be without Saturday?  I honestly don't know.  Frankly, I think I'd be lost, for Saturday is my day to recover from 180-miles-a-day commutes to and from work on the preceding five days.  Saturday, the seventh day, seems perfect for such recovery and renewal.  

Anyway, this is my blogging offering for today.  I hope you have enjoyed this excursion into blogging mediocrity!  Until next time...

9 comments:

Teri said...

As I re-read this, I realize that anyone choosing to diversify the curse doesn't use TWO "fuckity's" but one only, to wit -- "Fuck fuck fuckity fuck fuck!"...so we're back to fives! :p

Lottie said...

I've never been one to count fucks! Lol..the poetry of cursing..sounds like a book in the offing.. It'd be a best seller I'm sure..title Fucking Poetry!! Can I preorder a copy? xx

Teri said...

*chuckles* Indeed! LOL!

Milli said...

LOL Fucking Poetry...I love the idea.

Cinabear Cinnamon said...

I can feel the rhythm. Lol ;)

Unknown said...

ShitFuckFireHellDamn -- You are Right...only 5 words there!

Teri said...

Sometimes one happens upon a serendipitous blog idea... *chuckles*. I'm glad you all appreciate it! :)

Shaynacwings said...

From the very beginning of reading your post Teri I started laughing and still am.
I do like poetry and have now become an addict for more of yours. The Fuckity Fuck kind of course!
I am sure now I think on it the first words out of my mouth when I get up is, "Oh Fuck it, another lousy wet windy day."

Teri said...

Glad I made you laugh, missy! I'll pass by for a visit tomorrow! *hugs*