Sunday 4 November 2012

NaNoWriMo

Thursday kicked off another annual writing event, the National Novel Writing Month challenge. The purpose is clear and simple - write 1,667 words (at least) every day for the month of November, and have a short novel ready for the next step at the end. The goal is 50,000 words.

This will be my fifth attempt to get something written. I want to do something new, not go with something already begun. It has always been my way to choose the more complicated route. As a student in high school and college, I always chose the hardest question to answer, the hardest topic to address in my essays. My reasoning was simple. No one else would choose that question - they were, for the most part, a lazy bunch! - so my paper would have no other to compare it to, and the grade would be more "true" for that reason. And, as a bonus, I'd learn something from the comments my teachers and professors would make.

I still "roll" like that these days. All that has changed since those years is my level of confidence in my ability to write something of substance and quality. I turned 54 on Wednesday - it would be really bad if I still wallowed in the level of poor self-esteem that I lived in during those years. I'm still not your most self-confident woman, but I'm getting there.

Wish me luck! And, if you care to, join up!

3 comments:

Shaynacwings said...

I do wish you luck in everything you do Teri, always!

Many happy belated birthday wishes too. Another Scorp too. LOL

Cinabear Cinnamon said...

Happy belated birthday!!! Hugs!!! Good luck with your writing. I'm there too if you add me as runcinnamon. I started twice before and didn't finish. This is the first time I have any direction or substance. I am behind but see it as more possible than previous years. Happy writing :)

Teri said...

Thanks, Shayna! *hugs*

I'll go look for you, Cinna! :)