Thursday 9 August 2012

How Sweet!

A friend of mine wrote this poem.  I think it's such a great little poem, because it speaks of deep affection, maybe even love, while at the same time it's sounding a note of fear, if she leaves him.  Is it just me?  What do you think?  I've omitted the name of the person to whom it is dedicated.

UNDONE


To _________________, with love.



No lilies, you know, nor peacocks; it was 
not a Lalique gem but rather the wholesome 
loveliness of spring when you came 

that day. The bitter wind 
had temporarily left the garden, green, 
untidy, and night fell, the sky cloudless 

like a sudden revelation. I knew 
there must be some truth in such 
matchless beauty. It is strange, now, 

to meet you here. The light 
seems changed by your eyes, as then - 
when you close the door on me

I will be sitting here staring, the fire 
gone cold. There will be left 
not even a handful of stars.


Copyright © 2012 by Peter V.

11 comments:

Lisha P. said...

Beautiful.

Duck ... said...

Gorgeous!! :D

Kae B said...

Glad you both agree with me! :)

Anders P Hansén said...

Sweet indeed - fabulous shot of the swans

Princess Laci said...

Lovely!

Kae B said...

I got the swan shot from the Internet, Anders! Glad you like the poem!

And yes, it is lovely, Laci! :)

Thomas (Tom) Jefferson Thompson said...

I agree with you too........

Luxy (Monica) said...

Add me to the list......

Kae B said...

*smiles @ Tom and Luxy* Thank you!

ninetynine reasons said...

I like the form, very sweet :)

Kae B said...

He's an excellent poet, and I like the forms he uses, too! :)