Thursday 5 July 2012

Moving Images Challenge #57/CRC #86


CHILD'S PLAY

"Hello?"

"Jenny?  Is that you?  Jeez, girl, you sound terrible!"

"Thanks for waking me up to compliment me, Tansie!"

"Oh pooh, don't go all sarcastic on me, please!  And what do you mean by wake you up?  It's after noon!"

"So?  Is there some rule that says I have to get out of bed before noon?"

"Jenny," (patiently) "I know you're on leave, but this is ridiculous!  You can't spend the rest of your holiday holed up in your room!"

"Why not?  Besides, it's raining, so I can't go out."

A sigh.  "Look, Jenny, why don't I come over and we can make a gourmet meal together like old times, and after we eat, we can go for a drive.  The weatherman says the rain will stop soon."

"Thanks, Tansie, but I'm fine.  I don't feel like cooking."

"Jennifer Thomas, you 'haven't felt like' doing a whole lot of stuff since Jim passed.  It's time to let someone in to be with you and help you go through this!"

"I'm fine, Tansie!  Tell Mom I'm fine, she doesn't have to worry!"

A pause.  "You want me to tell our 86-year-old mother, whom you haven't spoken to in over a month, that you're okay?  And you expect her to believe me porque why?  Don't forget, she knows about the job you didn't get, before Jim died.  Two major losses, Jenny, one after the other.  Mom's beside herself with worry, and you want ME to tell her you're fine? Well you can forget it!  If you want Mom to know you're fine, YOU tell her yourself!"

A shrug.  "Sure, Tansie, I'll tell her soon."  Swiping at a tear.  "Thanks for calling me, anyway."

"Oh no, you're not!  You're NOT brushing me off this time!  When are you gonna call Mom?  She's home now."

"I don't know.  Maybe when I get out of bed."

"When will that be?"

"In a minute, Tansie!  If you'd get off the bloody phone I would, for goodness sake!"

Another pause.  "When was the last time you ate?"

Silence.

"Jenny?  Jenny!  Don't tell me you haven't eaten!" Low cursing.  "Jesus!  I'm coming over there right now, and you're gonna eat if I have to drench you like a horse getting his meds!  You hear me?"

Click.

Sniffling, then broken singing.  "Rain, rain, go away! Come again some other day!  Maybe I'll come out to play..."

13 comments:

Kae B said...

A two-fer...I'm running on empty, guys! Hope you don't mind!

Kurt Winston said...

I only wrote one story on multiply. It was about a year ago. It wasn't connected to any writing club or assignment system. It was the story of how a professor became a serial killer in a college town full of his targets - women, co-eds actually, and how he got away with it.The story came with pictures found on the Internet and took three blogs to write. I think the story scared some people. Anyway, I only gleaned ten avid readers. The story was fiction. At least some people thought so. Most of the stuff I write is non-fiction. For a short story, yours carried me along on a wave of humor.

Kae B said...

The challenge for MIC was to write about the picture. The challenge for CRC was to write a story told mostly in dialogue, with few, if any, descriptions.

Kurt Winston said...

Don't know anything about MIC.

driftwood beachcomer said...

Well done!!

Kae B said...

Moving Images Challenge, run by my friend Rogsy!

Kae B said...

Thank you, Jud! :)

Kurt Winston said...

Agree. I felt I almost knew the character doing the talking.

Kae B said...

*smiles @ Kurt*

ninetynine reasons said...

Cute story..someone else hiding..

Kae B said...

Yes...it's a theme, for now.

joyce cooper said...

this story opens and closes with so much in the air, and I see the red pillows as the underlying tones of love in the air. Even when we think people don't care...they do, in their own ways....

I loved the feel of this...

Kae B said...

Thanks, Joyce! I like the way you interpret the color of the pillows.