Monday 9 July 2012

Feisty, Funny, Fabulous...

...and just what the doctor ordered.

Meet Joan...old lady #3!  Were we fated to meet?  Did God have a hand in it?  Whatever the explanation, I guess I needed to hear it from a flesh-and-blood older woman for it to sink in.  I was in the little mall where the CVS pharmacy is this morning, going to make some photocopies at the Minuteman Press store.  As I was waiting to have my copies made, an older lady walked in, and the gentleman working there approached her to discuss the work he had been doing for her.  

Being the (sometimes) gregarious creature I can be, I smiled and said hello, and spoke to her regarding some general comment she had made to him.  This began a conversation between her, the woman serving me, and me, in which Joan (I asked her to give me her name and phone number, and she did!) told me her age -- she's 65, surely not as old as the two I saw yesterday, and certainly in much better shape than they were -- and her physical condition -- a smoker who eats whatever she wants, doesn't exercise, and yet has normal blood pressure and is only, according to her doctor, 15 lbs. overweight.

When she told us that her doctor said she was carrying around an extra fifteen pounds, both the woman behind the counter and I looked Joan up and down and said, in unison, "Where?" She laughed merrily and said, "Ladies, you've made my day!  I'll love you all forever!" We all laughed at that, and Joan went on to give me some advice, when I told her how I had figured out that women of a certain age (retired women) were discarded by society.

"Retirement is not easy," she said, "and you have to be ready for it.  Many retired women start their own businesses (I immediately remembered Kurt's suggestions -- than you, Kurt!). Once you retire, everyone will want you to do things for them.  You'll have to learn to say 'No!' But you must get out there and make new friends.  Your work friends will have moved on six months after you leave, so you'll need to find new people to share your life with.  Volunteer in one place -- don't do more."  

She paused, as she wrote her name and phone number (which she had to think hard to remember, chuckling as she did!), and then added, "Oh, and one more thing. Every week, put an X through one day -- doesn't matter which day.  That's the day that is only for YOU!  Do anything you want to do, or do nothing.  It's YOUR day to just please yourself, and no one else!"

I smiled and thanked her, and she asked me my name again.  "It's Karen," I told her, "but when I call, I'll remind you of who I am by reminding you of the woman you talked with in Minuteman!"

"Good plan!" she answered, smiling, and I took my leave.

Why did this make me feel better, after yesterday's 
meltdown, you ask?  It's a different day...perhaps it's as simple as that.  Or maybe it's because today is my 29th wedding anniversary, and I have other things on my mind, like how I managed to stay married to one person for so long.  Or maybe it's because Joan showed me that there IS life after retirement, and that I might just be okay as I am, and that I will be okay then, too. Whatever the reason, I was enormously cheered by this encounter.  

I think I wanna be like Joan when I grow up!  I said as much to her after she told me how healthy she was, despite her bad health behaviors, like the smoking.  I didn't feel like a loser.   Thank you, Joan!  


27 comments:

jilli ♥ said...

That is really sweet.xo

Kae B said...

Check this out, Jillian! I wanted to see what had happened to Helen Reddy, and this video seems to make today's blog so RIGHT somehow! :)

http://youtu.be/CP-Zb5HoPjM

jilli ♥ said...

OMG!..YES!!..hugsxo

Kae B said...

Isn't she just great? :)

jilli ♥ said...

She has personality..I wish I had..

Kae B said...

While there's life, there's hope! :)

Thomas (Tom) Jefferson Thompson said...

HMMMMMMMMMm,......................................I know of at least one older man who has been saying the same thing to you for quite a while now,...guess you really do need a older woman to give you the what not......

jilli ♥ said...

:)

Kae B said...

*smiles @ you* Perhaps you're right, Tom!

DIAMOND GURL said...

Thank you for sharing your writings with us..You are going to be just fine...Keep hoping and smiling regardless
of what you are going through...hugs

DIAMOND GURL said...

You write beautifully:)

desay unogratis said...

Lovely post and happy anniversary

Cinabear Cinnamon said...

Wonderful write :). Hope your week is off to a good start :)

Kae B said...

Thank you, Diamond! :)

Kae B said...

Thanks, sweetie! *hugs*

Kae B said...

Thank you, Cinna! So far, so good! :)

Iva me said...

gotta love the Joans in our lives :)

Kae B said...

Indeed, Iva! :)

Thomas (Tom) Jefferson Thompson said...

alrightythen.................

Ms E said...

I loved this! I think that personality would have brightened my day as well! Good for you, Ms. Lady. *thinking* Isn't it amazing how God puts people in our paths, for reasons, seasons, and lifetimes ... if nothing else but to make us happy. :)

BTW ... I do the crossing of the calendar too. And I am feeling less and less guilty about it. I sit in the sun, cook out, read a book, sleep if want, whatever. OMG, one day a couple of weeks ago, I sat and watched 3 movies! Last week I played in the pool and had my radio blasting outside for almost 4 hours. And yesterday I went to the movies to see Mighty Mike ... yeah I know childish for an old lady ... but I giggled, laughed and loved every minute of it! LOL

Let me know what you decide to do ... on your day!

Kae B said...

Every day of my summer vacation so far has been an X'd day! LOL! sleeping late, reading, writing, making a new online friend -- a Dutch English teacher whose writing is awesome! -- learning a bit of Dutch, going to bed late.

David P. said...

excellence.....

and as much as joan made your day.... well, with her being 65, maybe she doesn't blog.... but my guess is she told her friends about today's meeting of hearts n' minds in which she got a thrill re the 15-pounds comment.... so oui si ja da, you made her day as well....

wellllllllllllll done, you two!!!!

Momo .* said...

I am a true and firm believer that when we meet these strangers.. it's like an encounter with an angel... they come in when we need to learn something. We may never see them again, but the moments shared have purpose. Obviously you needed to hear what Joan had to say.. and I am glad that she was there for you. What a wonderful encounter!

Kae B said...

That's a nice thought, David! :)

Kae B said...

It was, Momo!

Tori Bri said...

hmm..glad you feeling better..

Kae B said...

Thanks, Tori! :)